Saturday, January 4, 2014

Pop Songs



Sometimes you feel like you're "Losing Your Religion" and you hope that life's challenges  "Don't Fall on Me".  Then  your life takes a turn and you're like "I Believe" and you can confidently "Walk Unafraid" and "Stand" in the place where you live.  Then you can finally see, when you're at your "Most Beautiful",  "Beyond the Great Beyond "  that even though "Everybody Hurts" there are still "Shiny, Happy People" out there somewhere...

 My 15 year old self thanks Michael Stipe for understanding my sensitivity to social injustices and personal insecurities and thinks you're dreamiest. My 17 year old self however, is disappointed that you will never fall for me because you are gay but still thanks you for helping me through my Freshman year of college while my 22 year old self thanks you for helping me through my first real heartbreak with that tool who told me I was just like his "Crush With Eyeliner".   What a "Monster", right?

It's both comforting and strange how you can trigger most major life memories with the sound of a tune. Damn that "Radio Song"!

Michael Stipe may have turned 54 yesterday, but for me, his lyrics and music never grow old.



http://youtu.be/if-UzXIQ5vw

(More REM videos along with other music videos and random, interesting media posts can be found at my tumblr site @ erinkenley.tumblr.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment