Saturday, November 23, 2013

Taking Stock



I'm really not a fan of Thanksgiving. Not only is it extremely challenging for anyone watching their weight but there are other reasons to dislike it too.  One, because it's a holiday that celebrates how our ancestors made nice with Native Americans and then basically annihilated them and took their land and two, because it's a hell of a lot of work, especially for women.  Sure others may say they are going to help and make an attempt to do so, but let's be honest. We all know who takes care of the majority of the meal.  I think I speak for many a full time working woman when I say "Who has time to buy, make, and clean for this freakin' day and why do we have to?"  Don't get me wrong, I like to cook and I want to make something special for my family but I'd much rather just order some Boston Market combo deal and be done with it. They would have a tastier meal and I would have less stress and more time to enjoy hanging out with them.

It's also not easy to have Thanksgiving without my parents or siblings and their families either in a state that's still unseasonably warm for this time of year. People are still going around in shorts and flip flops here like it's still summer. It's so not okay!!!!!!!! Where are the crimson and gold leaves, and sweaters, and logs ready to go by the fireplace? I miss Ohio even though there aren't enough layers in the world to keep me warm and I really miss my family, faults and all. It always feels like something is missing being so far away.

But it could always be worse. Working in a pharmacy, I see people everyday struggle to walk through the door as  they are in so much excruciating pain that will never go away they can barely support their weight. Fathers who come in to pick up meds for children who are dying from Cancer and elderly people who pick up meds to help them sleep after the passing of their spouse... I have my health and continue to have better blood work results every year since I've lost weight. I don't know where I would have been today had I not been able to turn things around and I hope I will continue to remember that and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment