Thursday, March 10, 2011

Quote of the Day



Every time I accept a new job as substitute teacher it becomes increasingly more challenging to push down the sense of impending drudgery that immediately starts taking over my thoughts. I'm not a fan of trying to find classrooms without a map, of following sketchy lesson plans, or of constantly having to lay down the law with a class of kids trying to break the rules.

As strange as it sounds - being a sub makes me wish for a class of my own. If the name posted in the window of the room were mine and the desk was cluttered with my post-its and family photos it would be much easier to feel truly connected to a school and not just some stranger passing through every few weeks.

Yet even though each new job is an unsettling test of how quickly I can adjust and take charge, (not my strengths), there's usually one marginally bright spot. Sometimes it's helping someone understand a new word or concept, or managing to get the room completely quiet for more than two minutes. And sometimes, when all else failes, it's just hearing something funny like this.

(Here's a brief screenplay I've produced. I think it helps capture the moment).

Scene: Mrs. Landry's unruly 2nd grade class walks outside to PE class under the guidance of a frazzled substitute,(me). The kids are noisy and a couple of them are having a tug of war with their jackets but the covered basketball courts are only 20 yards away. Under my watchful eye, everyone has avoided ruining their sneakers by not jumping the mini mud hills and Morgan is still breathing after Josh playfully attempted to strangle her by tying his jacket around her neck.

Jose: You cold Mrs. B?

Me: (arms folded and shivering) Yeah, the suns not out today. That wind is a little chilly.

Jose: Oh c'mon, that ain't nothin'. I'm Puerto Rican. I was born hot blooded. I could have ice in my veins and I wouldn't be cold.

Good for you Jose. Some of us aren't so lucky. Some of us are borderline anemic and have freakishly low blood pressure and circulation that we can only hope won't cause serious healthy issues down the road. But you go on with your bad self. You can't help but smile at a 7 year old with swagger.

No comments:

Post a Comment