Monday, February 28, 2011

Sugar and Spice



Speaking of ladies...Seems like there's a new one coming to town very soon - a little lady by the last name, Cummiskey. That's right, my younger brother and his wife went to the doctor today for an ultrasound and it's definitely a girl! A girl that will no doubt have auburn hair, green eyes, and a mandatory Irish name. Yay!

Little E. better get ready though. First, he needs to work on his social skills. (He still refuses to say "Hi" to me on the phone-like I'm some stranger.) And secondly, he needs to step it up in the gentleman department. As of now, he might be able to get away with hitting his doggie over the head with blocks or pulling mommy's hair, but that kind of behavior isn't going to fly with a baby girl. No, she will be daddy's little princess and needs to be treated as such at all times.

As much of an adjustment as it's going to be for this only child, it's also going to be an adjustment for my brother too. In fact, I find it very fitting that R. will soon be surrounded by all things soft, pretty, and girlie considering all the sensitivity he displayed when he was younger. Like the times he would run over my Barbies' heads with his transformers, use My Little Pony as a mode of transportation for He Man, and purposely jump up and down creating skips in my Wham album. And those were just the early years. As he "matured" he would go on to read my diary to his friends, randomly pick me up and spin me around, and relentlessly badger me to buy him beer when my parents were out of town.

Yet despite his antics, and the age difference, we were always like two peas in a pod. I played the role of the responsible older sister while he was the funny foil as everything he did was done more for a laugh than to cause harm.

Now he's all grown up and quite respectable, yet I still can't believe he's changing diapers, making baby food, and teaching his son to ride a tricycle. But a girl in the family will be good for him as well. It will teach him a whole new level of empathy and patience while also giving me the opportunity to step foot in the girls section once again. Something tells me that my brother is going to love using the tiny tea set, sparkly tiara, and pink tutu that I'll be rushing to buy my niece as soon as possible.

Song for today - YouTube - My Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment