Friday, February 26, 2010

Two, Four,Six, Eight -Who Do We Appreciate!



They say that no good deed ever goes unrewarded sooner or later... Well, I hope that's true because this is probably one of the biggest acts of kindness I've (willingly?) thrown myself into.

The Mom and Pop flag football tournament is in two weeks and they needed another token woman to be on the team. If I don't do this then the "dream" team that Dave and the other coaches have built up will be scattered and some other poor mom will feel obligated to fill in.

If this happens then I'll be stuck watching her 3 year old son on the sidelines. This is the greater of the two evils as this fearless munchkin runs on the field with a flag belt and all, wanting to play the game. It would be the longest morning of my life and I don't know if I have enough patience or energy to wrangle in the little Gator. Not only that, but I'm the assistant coach's wife. It's my duty to supply the last day celebratory cupcakes and pitch in when needed, even if that means taking a football to the head every once in awhile.


Unfortunately,athletics is NOT my strong suit. There were brief moments of glory in junior high when I clobbered the mean girl in dodge ball,(the bitch whacked my glasses off my face), and was selected for the floor hockey all star team, but that might not be enough. On the other hand, if you need words of encouragement, someone to capture moments of glory on film, or someone to spray a cool design with the team colors in your hair, then I'm your woMAN.

Some of these guys are hardcore and I've seen players hit the ground face first in the heat of battle. I'll give it my best shot. Who knows, maybe I can be their secret weapon and distract the opponents with some bad, white girl dance moves. I'm gonna have to download some new tough songs to get me in the right mindset, so I might as well work that angle too. I just hope I don't get pummeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment